Thursday, August 30, 2012

How I Almost Burned Down the House

I'm exaggerating it wasn't that bad. It could have been, but it wasn't. Nothing got ruined, everything is fine.
But still I started a fire.

In the house.

How you may ask. Well, I was prepping things for canning dilly beans; every burner on the stove was going. This rarely happens, I never need all four burners, except when I can or I need to feed a small army. So anywho all four burners were going, I was boiling water, lots of water. Water for canning. Water for sterilizing, water for softening lids, and pickling brine.

The top right burner was smoking a bit. I didn't think anything of it. I hadn't used that one in eons. I just figured it was burning off some dust. (no judging) I returned to my prep work, dishes and clearing counter space. Mr. B was outside.

It was still smelling like something burning. I turned to look at the stove and saw flames shooting out from the bottom of the pan. Quick take the pan off, maybe it is something stuck to the bottom. Nope. Flames still going, getting bigger. Not sure what is burning. Try splashing just a few drops of water on it. (I have enough common sense to know that if it was a grease fire water would just make it worse.) The water made it worse. 
Yup, it was a grease fire.

Grease fire. I know what to do. Baking soda.
CRAP
We had NO baking soda. 
I used the last of it to clean my bathtub.
(in case you were wondering it work wonderfully)

Called for Wes.

"Honey we have a problem"

no answer

"Honey we have a big problem"

no answer

"Honey the stove is on fire"

That got his attention.

He came in. I told him it was a grease fire and that water would make it worse. I also told him that we were out of baking soda. He did a quick look around the kitchen and suggested flour. I thought that would make it worse too, flour can burn. So he shut off the burner. Hello captain obvious, why didn't I think of that. We stood there and watched. I hoped and prayed that it would go out.

The fire slowly died. Whatever was burning must have burnt out. 
Thank goodness for that. It could have been bad. Really bad. 
I went back to my prep work and Mr. B went back to picking beans. My hands were shaking as I did the dishes, thinking how bad it could have been. How I could have ruined everything. The fire department is so far away by the time they would have gotten here what could they have done. Watch it burn. 

Praise Jesus everything is alright. The house is still standing. The kitchen is in one piece. Our stove is fine. We are fine.  

I think I will be adding baking soda to the grocery list. I will also be picking up a fire extinguisher next time I am the hardware store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment